Here is the Cassoulet recipe to try at home.
Plat du tour Guillaume Brahimi ' s recipes Copyright SBS on demand
The dish gets its name from the pot it's traditionally baked in, the cassole. This version includes duck confit and the French garlic sausages that are a specialty of Toulouse .
Ingredients for the Cassoulet Recipe
• 1.5 litresveal stock
• 1small pork hock
• ½ bunchthyme sprigs
• ½ tspsea salt
• 1bulb garlic
• 200 gfree-range boneless pork belly
• 2duck leg, confit
• 3Toulouse sausages
• 1small carrot, finely chopped
• 1small onion, finely chopped
• 1small tomato, finely chopped
• 1bay leaf
• 375 gdried haricot or cannellini beans, soaked overnight
• 150 gbrioche crumbs
• 1 tbspparsley, finely chopped
• 1clove garlic, finely chopped
Instructions to cook Guillaume Brahimi's French Cassoulet
This recipe need to be started 1 day in advance.
Resting time: 20 minutes
- Bring the stock to a simmer in an ovenproof pot. Add pork hock to the simmering stock along with half the thyme. Place a lid to cover the pot and ensure the stock doesn’t reduce too quickly. Simmer the pork for 1 hour.
- Remove hock from the pot and strain the stock. Reserve. Take the meat off the hock bone and chop into generous pieces.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Rub the pork belly with the salt and leave to rest for 20 minutes. Place the pork on a roasting tray, skin-side up. Wrap garlic bulb in foil with a little salt and olive oil. Place in the oven with the pork. Roast until the pork skin is crispy, about 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and leave to rest.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and sear the pork belly skin side down. Pan fry until golden. In the same pan sear the duck legs, add the sausages, frying until duck and sausages are golden, set aside.
- In a casserole pan, heat some oil and add the carrot, onion and tomato and sauté for 5 minutes until soft. Add the bay leaf, the remaining thyme and soaked beans.
- Cut the pork belly and duck legs, in halves, you should have 4 pcs each. Add them to the pot among the beans, leaving the pork belly skin-side up. Add the sausages and pork hock pieces. Press the garlic cloves out of the skin and add to the pot, then add the reserved liquid from the pork hock, but add only enough to cover the beans. Bake for 1 hour.
- Mix crumbs, parsley & chopped garlic. Sprinkle the crumbs mix on top of the cassoulet. Bake the cassoulet in the oven for 10 more minutes, or until the crumbs are golden.
Find more Guillaume Brahimi's recipes :